After struggling all winter and spring to keep my succulents alive (note: not thriving but surviving), I finally gave up and placed an ad on a neighborhood bloody thing offering them for $5 to $10 each. Several neighbors took me up on the offer but there were still about 40 – 50 succulents left.
Next, I called a local charity group to see if they would take a donation of live plants, hoping to keep them alive until they were picked-up. Yes!! They would!!
About a week after my call, their truck showed up; the plants went into the truck and were taken away. In fact, the truck driver was fascinated with the plants and several may end up with him. Hope the rest have found good homes where they can be loved, appreciated and grow.
Last week, I decided to move one of the ceramic totem poles into a bare spot at the front of the house. So, I carefully took it apart; carried the individual pieces to the front and finally carried the pole to the front and reassembled it.
About 10 minutes later, S.O. and I went to look at it. OUCH!! The totem pole had tumbled over and at least half the pieces were broken. Nothing to do but toss those into the trash and start over.
Next day, I pulled the pole & concrete base out of the plastic pot and “planted” the concrete in the ground. Then it was time to reassemble the totem. Fortunately, there were enough pieces of “totems in progress” to rebuild. It’s not quite the same but I still kinda like it.
In my mind’s eye, a wildflower garden has always had a certain charm. So, a couple years ago, I bought about 1/2 pound of wildflower seeds (1/4 pound for sun gardens and 1/4 pound for shade gardens). Last year, the plants were meager; they struggled because of all the rain and then the heat of summer shriveled them. Fortunately, we didn’t have a harsh winter and most of them survived.
I threw out more seeds in February and they prospered. Boy … did they prosper!! Now I have this wild wildflower garden. Time to thin them out and/or redo this whole plot because we can’t even walk through it.
A major thunderstorm rolled through here in the past 30 minutes. The rain was coming down so hard and fast that it was pouring off the roof in sheets. I ventured out to the covered back patio to grab a few photos (hoping to get one with a flash of lightening), but hurried back inside when the action got too close for comfort.
The pots are finished and packed and ready to go over to the nursery in the morning. I’m such a novice at this that, while I took pictures and documented what’s in each box, I didn’t make a list of the pots and their sizes and how much I should get for each one.
Oh well … live and learn. Fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow.
About a month ago, my buddy and I visited a local nursery that sells a lot of cacti and succulents. We showed them some of my pots and, while they were interested, they wanted some in certain sizes and certain styles.
So …. for the past several weeks, I’ve been making planter pots. And, because the weather has been so wet, they’ve taken f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dry. Then, some of the glazes turned out weird and I ran out of one of the wonderful glazes.
Here, though, is the first batch … photographed and packed up. There are still about 15 or so pots waiting to be glazed and fired. Then, we’ll go back to the nursery and (fingers crossed), they’ll love the pots and so will their clientele.
Yesterday was a great day!! It was “Kiln Opening Day” and, when all the pieces were unloaded, I had the final pieces for the garden totems.
These totems were started several months ago and it just took time to build the pieces, bisque fire them, glaze them and fire them again. One totem is whimsical faces and the other is state license plates.
When the chance of Spring storms, with the possibility of hail and tornadoes, passes, they’ll be added to the garden. Can’t wait!
About a year ago, I fell in love with succulents and cacti. The sheer variety is amazing. The more I bought and collected, the more pots I needed. Thank goodness, I happened to have a large supply of clay in the studio.
So, I started making pots for the plants. I made big pots and small pots, glazed them and settled the plants into my pots. For the most part, they seem to like the custom made pots and are rewarding me with new growth and offshoots.
Happy plants … happy pots … it’s all wonderful!
The weather-guys/gals predicted a good chance of strong storms on Wednesday night. Yeah … yeah …. yeah … they’ve said this before and we didn’t get even a drop of rain. Well, last night, their prediction was right on … at least in our neighborhood.
The wind had been blowing pretty hard all day but it’s March, the windy month. But, about 9:30 pm the sky darkened and the wind became even more fierce. Then, we heard it … the unmistakeable sound of hail hitting the roof, the windows, the yard.
The worst of the storm lasted a ferocious 15-20 minutes. Hail came down and covered the yard so deeply that it looked like snow.
This morning, it was time to look at the storm damage. Fortunately, it was minor. Skylights were intact. Lots of leaves down. One gutter screen torn loose. And an iris bud knocked off.
Well, darn! I’m discovering the cacti and succulents aren’t all that easy to grow.
They’re not at all like other house plants that thrive on a little bit of coddling and a little bit of neglect. Indoor plants (pathos, prayer plants) and outdoor plants (ajuga, monkey grass) have always rewarded me by growing and spreading. Eventually I’d invite friends to come and take some away.
But cacti and succulents …. NOOOOOOOOOOO!! If I water them when they don’t want to be watered even if the soil feels bone dry, they die. If I neglect them, they shrivel up and die.
Au revoir, Agave. I loved you well but not wisely.